All members get a free beer and a slice of pizza as we celebrate our new contract, a new semester, and a fantastic membership who make up the heart and soul of FSU.
During the session, we expressed our unhappiness with bargaining delays and asked for significant increases in financial benefits. We presented evidence showing the following:
- FSU’s budget has increased for the current and upcoming years
- Increases in minimum GA stipends at FSU have lagged significantly behind those at comparable schools
- Some GAs are paid less for teaching the same class in Summer than in Fall or Spring terms.
Here are highlights of the session:
Our next department representative meeting will be on November 16 from 5-7pm at Oglesby Student Union Room 311B.
If you are interested in becoming a department rep, this would also be a fantastic meeting for you to attend.
For this meeting, we will discuss the contract bargaining process with our bargaining chair Clancy McGilligan. This is a complex process that is not only important to every Graduate Assistant (GA) on campus, but also has ramifications for incoming graduate students as well. The more help we have with this, the better it is for all the GAs at FSU. Last meeting, we discussed grievances and had a lot of productive conversation. We hope to get even more great discussion going on this time too.
If you are interested in becoming a new Department Representative and are curious about what that entails, it means that you will:
1) attend monthly training sessions (food is provided!)
2) represent your department to GAU and GAU to your department;
3) recruit and give orientation presentations for your department;
4) experience a rewarding feeling from representing the union and hero status for helping out your fellow graduate students.
If you plan to attend, please RSVP on the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/
We will be holding our Spring General Membership Meeting on Thursday, March 30, from 6:30-8:00 pm in WMS 013. During this meeting, we will accept nominations for all elected positions. They are detailed below, along with an overview of the election process.
We will also have an opportunity to meet Kyle Hill and Stacey Pierre, FSU’s new Student Body President and Vice President. Food will be provided.
Read More →